Trump Cut Funding for Libraries? So what?!
Unfortunately, that's the response we hear most often because most Americans don’t know what the Institute of Museum and Library Services does. Which makes it hard to care about when it gets cut.
However, you can help us educate more Americans about the importance of this critical funding that was targeted for elimination in President Trump’s most recent budget. All you have to do is click to tweet the tweets below:
- If you love interlibrary loan at your local library, you might lose it if Trump’s proposed budget cuts stand. (CLICK TO TWEET)
- Many States provide braille libraries or books for the blind programs that are paid for by Federal Funding. (CLICK TO TWEET)
- A number of tribal library programs for Native Americans are paid for by IMLS funding and often helps pays for the only internet access point on reservations. (CLICK TO TWEET)
- Many libraries have received funds from IMLS to establish programs for serving youth on the Autism Spectrum.(CLICK TO TWEET)
- If you support our veterans, IMLS provides funding for many veteran support programs in libraries and museums. (CLICK TO TWEET)
- IMLS funding helps ensure the preservation of priceless and irreplaceable collections during disasters and emergency situations. (CLICK TO TWEET)
But that’s not all…
While these projects, and support of tribal libraries, is an impressive accomplishment for the IMLS. These few examples are not even 1% of the, literally, THOUSANDS of similar projects that are funded through the Institute of Museum and Library Services every single year.
These are just a tiny fraction of people who are served by IMLS funding. Please go to saveimls.org and help maintain services to people like you all over the United States. Do it for your own benefit, and because it is the right thing to do.